The School of Health and Related Research held an Alumni Speed Networking careers event on 12 May 2015, the first time the department has hosted such an event. We were delighted to welcome back some of our alumni to share their experiences with current students at the School.
- Guy Wood, Quality Assurance Manager, Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group
- Subhasis Basu, Clinician, Health and Safety Laboratory
- Rosetta Okele, Relief Pharmacy Manager, Lloyds Pharmacy Group
- Gemma Marceniuk, Health Economist, British Medical Journal
- Charlene Martin, Trial Monitor and PhD Student, University of Sheffield Medical School
- Cheryl Grindell, Physiotherapist, Public Health Department, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
- Robert Akparibo, Course Director (Masters of European Public Health), ScHARR
The format of the event followed the same format as “speed dating”, with small groups of students spending a short time with each alumnus, as well as current ScHARR staff, to ask questions about their careers and current roles. This was followed by an informal wine and buffet reception, allowing students to practice their networking skills.
The event was a great success, and both the students and alumni found it to be a worthwhile experience. For many students, this is the time of year when thoughts move away from exams and assignments to future career plans. The multidisciplinary nature of public health study means that it can be useful for many roles, and a number of students were pleasantly surprised at the variety of work the alumni were undertaking.
This event could not have taken place without the help of our alumni volunteers. If you are a former ScHARR student and would like to know more about opportunities to engage with the School, please feel free to get in touch with us at email@example.com